LEDs Magazine March 2012 issue
The March 2012 issue of LEDs Magazine is now available.
LED lighting from Nualight enhances the appeal of produce in a supermarket display cabinet. The company has signed a major deal with Sainsbury’s, a UK food retailer – see pages 10 and 46.
+++ Features +++
LED lighting market to grow while LED component market goes flat
Strategies Unlimited’s analysts believe that the LED lighting market is growing nicely, though they expect lower LED prices to keep a lid on LED-component growth in the foreseeable future. LAURA PETERS and MAURY WRIGHT report.
STRATEGIES IN LIGHT – MANUFACTURING
LED manufacturers reduce cost with automation, larger wafers, new materials
The LED Manufacturing track at Strategies in Light presented methods for reducing cost and improving yield of LED components, as LAURA PETERS reports.
LED market adoption continues to grow
The HB-LED Market track at Strategies in Light 2012 offered a view from Seoul, advice on how to cross the market-adoption chasm, insights on how to make GaN LEDs on GaN substrates, and much more, as TIM WHITAKER reports.
SSL must still clear hurdles to enable mass adoption of LED lighting
LEDs are doing quite well in general-illumination applications, but speakers in the LEDs in Lighting track at SIL addressed obstacles and solutions that will ultimately determine when widespread SSL deployment occurs, reports MAURY WRIGHT.
LED lighting highlights the food at San Diego burger restaurant
The Hodad’s restaurant in downtown San Diego has achieved energy efficiency and high-quality lighting using a mix of LED A-lamps, downlights, and T8-retrofit tubes, explains MAURY WRIGHT.
Ecosystems meeting paints future picture of intelligent SSL systems
A recent gathering of SSL professionals provided a vision of future lighting systems that are off-grid, LED-based, intelligent, adaptive and stable, writes LAURA PETERS.
ZigBee standards are ready to support lighting-control applications
The ZigBee building- and home-automation standards support lighting, and lighting manufacturers should move quickly to support the wireless network, says MAURY WRIGHT.
+++ Columns/departments +++
Test to find the best color metric
NEWS + VIEWS
- Market growth and stealthy start-up make news at SIL 2012
- Philips joins The Climate Group's LED lighting campaign
- Seoul Semiconductor CEO outlines AC-LED potential at SIL 2012
- Toyoda Gosei files LED patent lawsuits against Formosa Epitaxy
- Bridgelux gets $25 million in new funding
- Lynk Labs unveils new Tesla ACLED packages at SIL 2012
- LEDtronics lights Carpinteria
- Global Lighting Association aims to be more pro-active
- Life-cycle energy consumption of LED lamps compares well
- EPA introduces TM-21 calculator
- DOE updates specifications for troffers, parking-lot luminaires