WEBCAST: General Performance Testing for Lighting in North America
This webcast will discuss performance testing of LED luminaires and lamps to LM -79, looking at the requirements of programs such as Energy Star. The second part will focus on lumen-maintenance testing to LM-80, measurement best practices and upcoming revisions to the standard.
Originally Broadcast: Wednesday August 3, 2011
• Carl Bloomfield, Global Business Line Director - Energy Efficiency & Lighting, Intertek
• Jeff Hulett, CTO, Vektrex
• Performance testing according to LM-79
• Understanding how the actual testing is done
• Requirements of different programs, such as Energy Star
• LED lumen-maintenance testing according to LM-80
• Measurement best practices
• Upcoming revisions to LM-80
Carl Bloomfield of Intertek will discuss performance testing of LED luminaires and lamps to LM -79. Attendees will gain an in-depth look at the requirements for the DOE Lighting Facts program, IES files, and the Energy Star program, specifically the differences between test methods and requirements. This presentation will provide a general overview of performance testing for lighting in North America and deliver insight into the typical equipment used to obtain the necessary results.
Jeff Hulett of Vektrex will discuss LED lumen-maintenance testing, which is widely performed using the techniques outlined in the IES LM-80 standard. This presentation will discuss key best practices for effective testing, particularly in the areas of thermal management, data collection, and reporting. It will also present the current efforts of the IES subcommittee to capture this knowledge in a new revision of the LM-80 standard. Finally it will outline the just-released EPA guidelines for conducting LM-80 tests.
For more information, please visit: www.intertek.com.
For more information, please visit: www.labsphere.com.
Carl has been with Intertek for 14 years and holds a BS in Electrical Engineering from University of Florida. He is presently an active member of:
• American Lighting Association (ALA)
• American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA)
• National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
• Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
• Florida Gators Alumni Association
He is the current chair of the LM-80 Working Group, part of IESNA. He has authored several publications including Measuring LED Junction Temperature, Photonics Spectra, July 2008. Mr. Hulett holds a BSEE from the Illinois Institute of Technology.