The 4th Meeting of the Global Lighting Forum (GLF), held in Shenzhen, China, included the inaugural meeting of the GLF's LED Working Group.
The GLF is a forum of peak industry lighting organisations from around the world representing over 5,000 lighting manufacturers and US$50 billion annual sales. Member organizations are shown below.
The GLF says that LEDs hold great promise to revolutionise lighting because of their inherent benefits of energy efficiency, light quality, longevity and adaptability. In order to ensure the smooth introduction of LEDs, the GLF has instituted working groups and other processes dedicated to the technology.
The GLF’s Chairman, Jan Denneman, said that LEDs will play a dominant role in nearly every lighting application.
"The world will witness a revolution in lighting that will help reduce energy consumption while enabling new lighting experiences to be developed," said Denneman.
Immediate priorities for the GLF include:
- liaising with stakeholders, including governments and international organisations, to ensure that the quality of LED products provide consumers with a good experience - this will include proposing performance requirements attuned to the needs of different markets
- assisting with international standards development and encouraging the harmonisation of standards in different regions of the world
- producing educational material on solid state lighting, including the development of best practice guides and a guide to solid state lighting nomenclature.
For further information contact the Secretary General of the Global Lighting Forum, Jürgen Sturm, or individual GLF members.
GLF is represented in various regions by the following regional associations:
- Australia: Lighting Council Australia – LCA
- Brazil: Abilux
- China: China Association of Lighting Industry – CALI
- Europe: European Lamp Companies Federation – ELC
- India: Electric Lamp and Component Manufacturers Association – ELCOMA
- Japan: Japan Electric Lamp Manufacturers Association – JELMA
- Japan: Japan Luminaires Association – JLA
- USA:National Electrical Manufacturers Association – NEMA
- Taiwan: Taiwan Lighting Fixture Export Association – TLFEA
- Europe: CELMA – observing member