Winners in the eighth-annual Lighting for Tomorrow 20120 competition were recognized at the annual American Lighting Association (ALA) conference in Las Vegas, Nevada. Shepherded by the ALA, the US Department of Energy (DOE), and the Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE), the energy-efficiency-focused Competition recognized 11 of 107 products that were entered in three categories – solid-state-lighting (SSL) fixtures, LED replacement lamps, and lighting controls.
Fifty companies entered products in the Competition and a panel of nine judges evaluated the products based on criteria including efficiency, appearance, color rendering, and aesthetics. The field included 69 SSL luminaires, 24 LED replacement lamps, and 14 lighting-control devices that were evaluated at the California Lighting Technology Center in Davis, California.
Winners in the SSL luminaire category are:
- Kichler Lighting, Design Pro LED Broad Roof LED Path & Spread Light
- Kichler Lighting, Design Pro LED Modular and Disc System
- Edge Lighting, Scope LED Pendant
- Edge Lighting, Scope LED Monorail/Track Light.
- Albeo Technologies Inc., Agito – Intelligent Task Light
- Blackstone International Ltd., Sunter Architect LED Desk Lamp
- Cree LED Lighting, CR6 Downlight.
|Philips EnduraLED A19 Lamp|
The award winners in the lighting controls category include:
- Leviton Manufacturing Co., Inc., Decora CFL Slide Dimmer
- Lutron Electronics Co., Inc., Radio Powr Savr Occupancy/Vacancy Sensor with Maestro Wireless Switch
- Legrand/Pass & Seymour, RT1 7-Button Timer.
The organizers of the Competition hope to stimulate the development of energy-efficient lighting – primarily SSL, although the lighting controls can also be used with fluorescent technology. According to the ALA, around 20 organizations nationwide that are focused on energy efficiency participated in the Lighting for Tomorrow competition this year.