TI introduces new LED lighting controller with power factor correction
DALLAS -– Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE:TXN) today introduced a new single-stage LED lighting pulse width modulation (PWM) controller. The TRIAC-dimmable solution regulates LED current and also achieves near unity power factor. The reference design can achieve 85 percent efficiency, which enables high-density, small form factor designs. The TPS92210 is designed for general lighting applications, such as commercial and residential recessed, troffer, light bulb replacement, architectural and display lighting. For more information: www.ti.com/tps92210-preu.
Key features and benefits of the TPS92210
• TPS92210 features flexible operation modes such as peak primary current, constant on-time and frequency modulation. The constant on-time mode provides single-stage power factor correction for improved efficiency.
• TPS92210’s cascoded MOSFET configuration results in 10 percent lower switching losses with fast and easy high-voltage start-up compared to competitive devices.
• Continuous linear TRIAC dimming provides flicker-free, uniform control.
• Multiple protection features, such as over voltage protection without optocouplers, thermal shutdown and advanced over current, safely shut down the system if fault conditions exist.
• Programmable fault response, full shutdown and shutdown restart provide added flexibility for fault response.
Find out more about TI’s LED lighting portfolio by visiting the links below:
• For the complete LED lighting portfolio visit: www.ti.com/led-pr.
• Ask questions and share knowledge in the LED forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/ledforum-pr.
• Download the LED Reference Design Cookbook: www.ti.com/ledcookbook-pr.
• For information on TI’s microcontrollers for advanced lighting solutions visit: www.ti.com/mculighting-pr.
Availability and pricing
The TPS92210 is available now in an 8-pin SOIC package and is priced at $0.70 in quantities of 1,000. The TPS92210 evaluation modules (120-V and 230-V versions) will be available in December 2010.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through manufacturing, design and sales operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com
About LED lighting from Texas Instruments
TI offers a leading-edge portfolio of products for today's LED lighting design requirements based on decades of innovation in power management and wired and wireless communication technology. TI helps speed customers’ lighting innovation with a broad portfolio of power management devices, wired and wireless interfaces, and embedded processors, as well as products tailored to the needs of the lighting market, complemented by the company’s strong local and online customer support network.
TI E2E Community is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
European Customer Support Center European Customer Support Center (ECSC) www-k.ext.ti.com/sc/technical-support/pic/euro.htm Phone of UK support service: 00800-ASK-TEXAS (00800-275-83927) TI E2E Community: http://e2e.ti.com/