New Office Showcases Company’s Craft, Innovation and Sustainable Approach to Building; Aims to Meet Rigorous Wellness Certification for a Healthy Workplace
SAN FRANCISCO — Webcor, one of California’s largest general and specialty construction contractors, has completed a renovation and expansion of its San Francisco headquarters at 207 King Street. The office transcends the company’s fundamental purpose of building solutions that better lives, honoring its commitment to superior building and quality standards, sustainability and wellness, and a collaborative and transparent culture. Webcor now leases an entire 18,200 sq. ft. floor in its building.
Designed by Blitz, the renovation was conceived to meet rigorous requirements for WELL Building Standard (Gold) and LEED v4 Commercial Interiors (Silver) certifications. The floorplan was reimagined to open up, offering ample private and collaborative spaces with divisions and executives distributed throughout.
The transformation includes an emphasis on construction craftmanship, notably celebrating Webcor as a specialty trade contractor that operates its own concrete, drywall and interior finishes divisions, including a complex concrete reception area and distinctively curved drywall ceilings. Emerging technology was adopted as part of the renovation with automation used in the drywall application in partnership with Silicon Valley Ventures and Laboratory, a research lab managed by Webcor’s parent company, Obayashi.
“With this renovation, we really wanted to push the envelope of what we can create coupled with a long-term vision for a healthy work environment that takes advantage of the most advanced lighting, air quality and sustainable materials. We’ll measure the healthiness of our environment through our commitment to the WELL facility standards,” said Jes Pedersen, Webcor CEO. “The space feels happy. There’s no other word for it, and we are eager to host clients and friends here so they can experience first-hand who we really are at Webcor.”
Added Justin Beadle, Blitz Project Manager + Architect, “Blitz understood Webcor’s design vision of creating a human-centered workplace that reflects a commitment to its employees, visitors and the construction industry as a whole. This project represents Blitz and Webcor’s bold, collaborative approach and demonstrates best practices in architectural design, construction innovation and building healthy environments.”
Webcor’s office boasts a number of key sustainability and wellness features, including:
- 130 sq. ft. of green wall spanning two walls
- Four ornamental rebar planters
- Living greenery throughout the office, including plants on employees’ work stations and desks
- Green color palette and natural wood and textures incorporated throughout
- BIOS lighting with innovative, nascent “Sky Blue” technology that supports circadian rhythms and consistently provides natural light to the entire office
Materials and furniture
- All furniture subject to stringent ANSI/BIFMA eFurniture Sustainability standards
- A focal wall spotlighting all Webcor departments and self-perform groups, including building, concrete, interiors, drywall and sustainability
- Optimally sustainable materials were incorporated, including:
- Drywall with over 90% recycled content
- Sustainably sourced wood flooring
- Products with material take-back programs for end-of-life waste management
- Carpet, ceilings, tile and metal framing made with highly recycled content
- Cork, ceiling tile and drywall made of bio-based elements
- Products and finishings with low volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and off-gassing
- In-office bike racks, lockers and showers, as well as an in-building gym
- Built-in sensors to measure and ensure optimal air quality
- Kitchen stocked with healthy snacks and beverages
- Wellness room for rest and recuperation
- Mother’s room equipped with a mini fridge and private sink
- Two countertop Bevi systems serving flavored sparkling water as an alternative to soda and water bottles
Please visit sfrenovation.webcor.com for more information and video tours, as well as access to downloadable photos on the press page.
Webcor is a premier provider of commercial construction services, known for its innovative and efficient approach, wide range of experience, cost effective design-build methodology, skill in concrete construction and expertise in building landmark projects. Webcor’s mission is to build structures of superior quality with integrity, continuously improve its processes by employing the best talent in the industry, and add social and economic value to its communities. Founded in 1971 and repeatedly honored as one of the Greenest Builders in California, Healthiest Employers, Top Corporate Philanthropists, Best Places to Work and Largest California Construction Firms, Webcor has offices throughout the state in San Francisco, Alameda, San Jose and Los Angeles. More information is available on the Webcor website and on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Sofia Hatef - Crowe PR
for BIOS Lighting