Title: Diagnose and Solve Thermal Challenges in Next-Generation LEDs
Broadcast date: Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Broadcast time: 12:00 pm PDT | 2:00 pm CDT | 3:00 pm EDT | 8:00 pm UK
Presenter: Boris Marovic, Product Marketing Manager, Mentor Graphics
As LEDs have increased in popularity for a variety of applications, new thermal challenges have emerged that must be considered. This webcast will identify these challenges and illustrate best practices and methods for optimizing LED cooling and for utilizing concurrent Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) in establishing new design processes. The following is what you will learn:
• How to ensure quality requirements for LEDs, such as lifelong durability essential in safety applications and expected in products like LED TVs
• The importance of selecting a suitable LED for each specific application
• The role of luminaire certification
• Thermal management methods and how to apply the right solution that fits not only the design, but ensures cost effectiveness
• How a concurrent CFD solution provides faster and shorter design cycles which will reduce time-to-market, prototyping and development costs, and ensure high efficiency thermal management.
SPONSOR: Mentor Graphics
Mentor’s thermal design software and characterization hardware provides a complete solution to the thermal design and testing of solid-state lighting components and products. Our thermal software embedded in mechanical CAD allows LED integrators to simulate 3D models of whole luminaires in the actual operating environment, providing a complete understanding of the product’s performance. Plus, it allows LED vendors to build validated detailed models of their parts that is backed up by measurement hardware that provides full thermal, radiometric and photometric characterization.
For more information, please visit www.mentor.com/mechanical.
Boris is an Application Engineer located in our Frankfurt Germany office of the Mechanical Analysis Division. He studied aerospace engineering at the University of Stuttgart majoring in aircraft design and aerodynamics with specialized knowledge in the CAD suite CATIA V5. He graduated in 2007 and began working for Mentor Graphics. He is responsible for FloEFD support, training, consulting and software demonstrations.