-- Highly compact SSL21081 platform enables high efficiency, low-cost LED lamps
Eindhoven, Netherlands and San Jose, Calif. -- NXP Semiconductors N.V. (Nasdaq: NXPI) today announced the SSL21081, a highly efficient, high-voltage LED driver IC for compact, non-dimmable retrofit lamps based on GreenChip™ technology. The SSL21081 platform makes it easy for LED retrofit lamp manufacturers to design cost-effective applications for the 100V, 110V and 120V markets with up to 95 percent efficiency, underscoring NXP’s commitment to smarter energy-efficient lighting solutions. NXP will demonstrate the SSL21081 at Strategies in Light 2011 in Santa Clara, Calif. from February 22 through 24 (booth 600).
The SSL21081’s high integration level, including a 300V internal switching MOSFET, provides a low component count, using only 14 components in a complete application, and reduces the cost of LED lamps for the end user. With the SSL21081, low-cost applications benefit from advanced features such as better than 5% LED current accuracy and a full range of protections, including LED over-temperature protection. Engineering samples of the SSL21081 will become available in mid-2011 at US $1.70 per piece.
• NXP SSL21081 is a highly efficient, high-voltage LED driver IC
• Designed for compact LED retrofit lamps for the 100V, 110V and 120V markets
• Reference PCB for the SSL21081 is a highly compact 18 mm x 22 mm
• Operates in a buck or buck / boost mode, with all required circuitry in an 8-pin SO package
• Enables power conversion efficiency above 95 percent, depending on the application
• True current source behavior – better than 5 percent output current accuracy
• Dimming is possible using direct Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
• Protection features include easy external temperature feedback, as well as under-voltage lockout, leading-edge blanking, over-current protection, brownout protection and more
• Other GreenChip lighting solutions showcased at Strategies in Light 2011 include the NXP SSL2103 controller IC for dimmable LED Lighting
• NXP is the first semiconductor company to have demonstrated that its mains LED drivers match LED lifetimes, through extended lifetime testing
• GreenChip technology lies at the heart of NXP’s cost-effective, high-efficiency power management and lighting ICs, based on NXP’s EZ-HV process which enables high-voltage silicon-on-insulator (HV-SOI) ICs
“The NXP SSL21081 was designed with small size, high integration and high efficiency in mind, allowing retrofit lamp manufacturers to reduce application size and cost and introduce LED lighting in small form factor applications,” said Jacques le Berre, director of marketing and business development, lighting solutions, NXP Semiconductors. “As incandescent bulbs continue to be replaced with energy-efficient lighting solutions, we are leveraging our GreenChip technology to drive ‘eco-engineering’ and reduce power consumption for consumers across the globe.”
• SSL21081 product information
• NXP GreenChip Lighting solutions
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (Nasdaq: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.4 billion in 2010. For more information visit www.nxp.com.
USA: Rebecca Samuel Tel. +1 408 474 8769 Europe: Eureka Endo Tel: +44 795 828 7483 firstname.lastname@example.org APAC: Hui Yun Chen Tel: +65 6882 4146 email@example.com Greater China: Jannet Chen Tel: +86 21 22055883 firstname.lastname@example.org