Microsemi announces timing controller plus LED backlight solution for next-generation 3D LCD TVs
Irvine, Calif. - Microsemi Corporation (Nasdaq:MSCC), a leading provider of semiconductor technology aimed at powering a smart, secure, connected world, today announced collaboration with Sony® Corporation Semiconductor Business Group ("Sony") for the first open market 3D-capable timing controller plus local dimming LED backlighting solution for the manufacturing of lower cost, high volume next-generation LCD TVs. The combined solution includes a Sony timing and lighting controller, part number CXD4730GB and the Microsemi LED driver solution consisting of two chips, the DAZL!™2000 series 32-port logic chip (LX24232) and 8-port LED driver power chip (LX23108L).
The complete turn-key reference design draws on Sony's powerful video and light processing technology and Microsemi's DAZL! LED drive technology, enabling the production of superior, high quality 3D and 2D images using LCD panels from a wide variety of manufacturers. The combined technologies allow lower cost 60 Hz refresh LCD panels to produce the image quality of more expensive 120 Hz panels, and enable 120 Hz panels to match the image quality of costly state of the art 240 Hz panels. TV designers, particularly in rapidly expanding markets such as China, can now create 3D-enabled LCD TVs with enhanced image motion quality and contrast ratio while reducing cost, simplifying design complexity and shortening time to market. Microsemi is also planning to extend its relationship with Sony to include support of Sony's next generation of video and light processing technology.
Key Features of Microsemi DAZL! LED ICs:
* Increased system efficiency via adaptive digital control of the backlight unit's power supplies
* SPI communication bus to interface with the video controller or to external FPGA
* Flexible scanning interface with programmable phase delay for every channel
* Configurable PWM frequency
* Advance LED current setting optimized for 3D support
* Per string voltage monitoring for failure event detection and protection
* FET arrays with inherent thermal protection
* Optimized thermal distribution using up to four8-port LED drivers per LED controller
* High accuracy regulation of channel current: +/-2%
* Optional FPGA/MCU control block to control LED light intensity using a closed loop
* RoHS compliant
Key Features of Sony's Timing and Lighting Controller:
* LVDS Rx IF
* Timing Generator for LCD driving signals
* mini-LVDS Tx IF / LVDS Tx IF(TCON bypass mode) (selectable)
* MEMC with frame rate conversion (2x, 2D/3D support)
* Horizontal/vertical scaling (3D format support)
* LED backlight local dimming
* RGB gamma correction
* Overdrive function
* Panel driver IC control function
* Internal frame memory
* RoHS compliant
"This joint effort has yielded an easy to adopt yet technologically advanced solution for next-generation LED TVs," said Paul Pickle, Corporate Vice President and General Manager of Microsemi's Analog Mixed Signal Group. "The collaboration resulted in a complete turn-key solution supporting advanced features such as scanning LED backlighting and 3D, greatly reducing development time and cost for TV manufacturers."
The solutions will be demonstrated at IIC China, Shenzhen February 24-26, 2011 at the Microsemi booth #2C11.
Microsemi's DAZL!2000 logic chip LX24232 and DAZL!2001 power chip LX23108L are sampling now and will be in full production March 2011.The timing and lighting controller from Sony (part number CXD4730GB) is available now.
Microsemi Corporation (Nasdaq:MSCC) offers the industry's most comprehensive portfolio of semiconductor technology. Committed to solving the most critical system challenges, Microsemi's products include high-performance, high-reliability analog and RF devices, mixed signal integrated circuits, FPGAs and customizable SoCs, and complete subsystems. Microsemi serves leading system manufacturers around the world in the defense, security, aerospace, enterprise, commercial, and industrial markets. Learn more at http://www.microsemi.com.
Ivanya Terrazas Public Relations Tel: (650) 318-7570