Swiss department store chooses energy-saving LED lighting solution
The Manor Group, a Swiss department store chain, has recently undertaken an energy-saving LED lighting project, which led to cost savings and easier maintenance.
|Energy-saving LEDs light up the food department|
- The 2100m2 Ladies department in the Zurich flagship store, which was lit with CDM fixtures consuming 256,000 kWh per year.
- The 1970m2 Food department,in the Basel Manor, which was lit by a mix of fluorescent and HID lamps consuming 255,000 kWh per year.
|A close-up of the energy-saving LEDs in Manor|
The Bridgelux RS Array Series delivers high light-output for applications including retail, street, wide-area, high-bay and commercial lighting, replacing conventional light sources such as 35- to 70-watt metal halide (HID) and high-wattage compact fluorescent (CFL) lamps in luminaires. These arrays produce between 3100 and 4500 “hot” lumens, enabling clean and uniform lighting effects without pixilation, as well as beam control for precision lighting.
|LEDs in the Ladies department|
As well as a 50% reduction in energy consumption, Manor noted a 3 to 4 degree Celsius drop in temperature at the respective department floor compared to prior with the same HVAC setting.
Due to the absence of UV and IR in the beam, the spots could be positioned closer, if required, to the merchandise without harm (fading of colors in textiles and maintaining the freshness of foods for longer).
Also, the design incorporates the possibility to easily upgrade/adapt the range to the latest LED improvement.Manor not only demonstrated its commitment to sustainability but also will:
- Save 50% on the energy cost for lighting, resulting in annual savings estimates of CHF 28,000 ($25,900) for the Zurich store and CHF 40,000 for the Basel store.
- Substantially reduce maintenance costs due to a 4x increase in lamp life
- Attain payback within retail requirements for lighting
|Energy-saving LED lighting from Bridgelux and RD Leuchten|
Less quantifiable are the additional benefits of:
- Lack of UV radiation eliminating the need for filters to protect merchandise
- Elimination of IR radiation to ensure freshness of perishable items
- Reduced climate control costs and a more pleasant shopping experience.